Halloween Craft Projects - Papier-Mache Mask
What to do:
1. Take a large piece of foil ( approx. 50") and fold in half.
2. Place the foil over the face of the person who will be wearing the mask (or yourself) and shape it into facial features by pressing it gently over the entire face, into grooves, under chin, and around to just in front of ears.
3. Carefully remove the mask and gently set it aside.
4. Cut or tear newspapers into 2" wide strips in vertically or horizontally. You can shorten this process by cutting through several sheets at one time.
5. Completely cover both sides of the newspaper strips with generously brushed on paste.
6. Gently cover the foil mask with wet strips of newspaper making certain that they overlap for sturdiness.
7. Repeat step 6 by placing the strips in the opposite direction of the first application of pasted strips. Set the mask aside and allow to dry completely, which usually takes about a week.
8. When mask is completely dry, remove the foil and trim edges of mask with scissors.
9. Carefully cut out spaces for the eyes and mouth. Note: These spaces may be cut in any shape you like. Mean, happy, etc. Poke holes in the nostrils of the nose.
10. Paint your mask colors desired.
11. You may now embellish your mask with furry eyebrows, a wart on the nose, whatever you like. Punch a small hole on both sides of the mask just above ear level and string.