Cooking Recipes - Butterfly Éclairs
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes 18 éclairs.
1/2 cup water
4 tbs. (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/8 tsp. salt
2 pkgs. low-caloric vanilla-flavored pudding mix
2 cups skim milk
1. Heat water and butter or margarine to boiling in medium-size saucepan. Stir in flour and salt all at once with a wooden spoon; continue stirring vigorously about 2 minutes, or until batter forms a thick smooth ball that follows spoon around pan.
2. Remove from heat; cool slightly; beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until mixture is thick and shiny-smooth.
3. Shape batter, 1 tablespoon at a time, into thin strips, about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
4. Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) for 30 minutes, or until puffed and lightly golden. Remove at once from cookie sheets; cool completely on wire racks.
5. Prepare vanilla-pudding mix with skim milk, following label directions; chill.
6. Cut a slice across top of each éclair and lift off. Scoop out any bits of soft dough from inside bottoms with tip of teaspoon. Fill each with 1 rounded tablespoon of pudding. Cut each top in half cross wise; push pieces into budding in shell, butterfly style. Garnish each with half a fresh strawberry, if you like. Dieter's portion; 2 eclairs-96 calories.